Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update-been a while

I went back on Straterra after the holidays and it has not been good to me. Straterra is a non-stimulant medication originally used to treat depression, but it didn't really work for that application and supposedly works for about 75% of ADHD patients. It is a stepped plan in which you take progressively larger doses up to 80 mg, I am on the third step of four and I have to say I am not happy. Apparently it take a while to begin to work (a few weeks) and in the beginning there is a higher likelihood of side effects until you level out so to speak.

I have been enjoying all sorts of fun side effects. It made me tired and spacey. I even had to go home one day. I changed from taking it in the morning to taking it at night as I had heard some people do better with the side effects (you sleep though them). Apparently it also causes insomnia. I haven't had a good night of sleep in 4 days. Last night was ridiculous. I was up most of the night, and had the weirdest dreams.

I'd like to say screw it and go back to taking something else, but I have decided to stick it out at least until my next appointment in a week or two in the hopes the side effects will wear off and maybe the actual beneficial part of the drug will begin to work! Right now, I'm a spaced out tired zombie.

No comments:

Post a Comment