Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ritalin now

I had an appointment with my Dr. on the 21st and we discussed the side effects I was experiencing from the Adderall, and we decided to give Ritalin a try. I could tell he doesn't like Ritalin as much, but he decided it was worth a try if it made me feel better overall.

I got my 10mg prescription for up to 2 tablets twice a day. I began taking it the next day and I was a little disappointed in that I didn't really feel as though it was working. I didn't feel any different, except maybe a little more mellow. My other side effect didn't seem to be as bad so that was a plus. After a few days I took two pills in the morning to see if that might give me more of an effect and holy cow, I was buzzy all morning. It was not the best feeling. My mind felt like it was tingling and I had tons of useless nervous energy. Take a few redbulls and I think you'll get the idea. Since then I have cut back to one pill at a time.

I have noticed a difference in the way I feel the last few days. I feel a little more hyper than I did the first few days, but not all the time. If I am mellow, I stay mellow, but if I do something I get a bit of an energy rush. Sometimes it is a little too much and I feel the need to quiet myself down. Meditation works if I can get to a quiet place.

Overall I think I like this medication more than the Adderall. I don't have an upset stomach and the headaches are less significant so I'm handling it well.

During my conversation with the Dr. he made it clear that in most cases the medication is a bit of a compromise and that no medication will make me normal all the time. The real end goal is to find something that helps me function better than I did before, not to provide a magic pill. To that end I think it helps.

I had heard stories about people getting super anal on these drugs. I heard a story about a graphics artist that couldn't stop working on graphics until they were perfect when he took the drugs. I haven't seen anything like that. I can stick with things longer, but I still get frustrated and walk away or get to the good enough point and call it done. I suppose it has a lot to do with your original personality coming through. I have never been much of a perfectionist so I don't become more of one on these drugs whereas a person who tends to obsess may then have the ability to follow through on their obsessive behavior when they are on the drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment