Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Career

I am a marketing professional. I have a degree in Marketing Communications and have worked in the field for the past 10 years.

Marketing I should explain has several different meaning to different people and none is more right than another. I have focused myself on the promotions aspect of marketing. I have done so because it is easiest for me and provides me with the most joy. I do not do analysis or research; I rarely turn in any reports, and I hardly keep a file.

Most of what my job entails is event management, advertising, in house video and photography, and sales tool creation. You will notice that most of what I do has a subjective nature to it and is hard to establish an ROI or benchmark for. I do will because I am allowed to be creative and I am not expected to provide much in the way of hard data. I work for a small division of a large company that needs someone around to fill the gaps that corporate leaves, and I do this well.

It may sound like I'm some kind of slacker, but in reality I do a lot in my job, and more importantly I save the company a bundle of money doing little projects that would otherwise be outsourced to $125 and hour agencies.

My ADHD has had some noticeable affects on my job. My workspace is a mess. It drives my boss nuts to look at it. It drives me nuts to look at it. I keep terrible records and drive the purchasing department nuts.

Recently the ownership of my department went from my boss of 5 years to a new boss, someone who carries much less weight in the company, someone I thought of as almost and equal. I was not considered for the position of Marketing Manager even though I am really the only marketing person in the building. I was given up to the IT department manager who happens to have a marketing degree. I felt very slighted by this turn of events and feel that if I had a more structured lifestyle I would have been considered for the position. I now feel as though there is no way I will ever be promoted beyond my current position/title. I think this is a direct result of my ADHD.

No comments:

Post a Comment