Tuesday, June 9, 2009

College Phase 1

I enjoyed my college experience for the most part. It was where I really began to develop not only self worth, and an identity, but tools for survival with ADHD without even knowing I had it.

I began my college experience while still in High School. To me it was a relief from the drudgery of normal school life. I could escape a number of "required" classes that I would have bombed at and focus my attention on classes that I actually enjoyed.

College for me went in two phases, first the 2 year degree and after a couple years of working, the 4 year degree. In community college I found classes in my chosen field to be relatively easy and enjoyable, although I could have done better. When things got technical, in groups, or working on larger or more detailed projects I would falter.

I had to take a little algebra to meet the minimal requirements. The professor was fantastic and brought some energy to the classroom. I actually got a "C" which was great for me. When I had to take accounting ti was a very different experience. the professor was terrible. There was very little teaching and what there was was poor at best. Most classes consisted of collecting the previous days homework, asking if there were any questions and dismissing class. Classes rarely lasted more than 20 minutes. I found myself with no idea what was going on. I couldn't even form a decent question to ask for help. I dropped the class with the hopes of getting a different professor next quarter. As things turned out I did not get a different professor, he was the only one available. I never attended a day of the classes. I took tests weekly in the testing center and self taught myself from the book. It was really hard and I struggled with this class more than any other class. I nearly gave up completely even though it was one of my last classes before I graduated. I wound up passing with a "D" and I was happy to have it over with.

I also struggled with turning in assignments. My professors were relatively lenient, and I could get away with turning in late assignments with some of them.

group work was one of my biggest fears. I always assumed failure would be the outcome because I thought other people would work much the same that I did. I was an active participant, but I would have a hard time remembering what it was that was expected of me and keeping up in group discussions. I knew that other group members didn't care for my absent mindedness, but at least I wasn't the looser that didn't do anything so I could tag along relatively unnoticed.

This was in fact a pretty lonely time for me. I had cut ties with my childhood friends. Most of them had began using drugs and couldn't be trusted anymore. I didn't have any faith in friendship and hadn't the courage to date. I spent a lot of time alone with my thoughts. I began to develop an introspective creativity that needed an outlet, but had no idea what that should be.

I finished community college with a 2 year degree in Marketing with an emphasis in Management. I had a respectable GPA, and hopes of beginning a career.

No comments:

Post a Comment